Having completed Starters, the dog is now able to do Recall from the box area (51ft or 15.3m from the finish poles) and return to its handler.
Bronze level concentrates on training the dog to consistently do Recall correctly while also teaching the dog to do the Game pointing in different directions. The handler raises his expectations of what he wants the dog to do, while the dog gains a deeper understanding of what is expected of it through thorough training methods.
It is tempting to rush dogs through their basic training in our
eagerness to show how clever our dogs can be. However, in the early
stages of training an exercise many dogs are accidentally
doing it correctly. This can be because of coincidence; because it
is watching the handler's unconscious body movements (ie not
necessarily those chosen by the handler to be the visual commands
for the exercise); or because it has associated the environment with the exercise rather than the
handler's visual and spoken commands, so that the dog cannot
understand what is required from it when asked to do the exercise
in a new direction or location. The Bronze stage helps overcome
Having successfully achieved a certificate in Bronze, a dog must not attempt another Bronze certificate for at least an hour (it is preferable that the stages should be done on different days so that the handler and trainer can check whether the dog has really learnt and understood the Game). Combining this time delay with turning the Recall lane round so that the dog has to run in a different direction, helps to reinforce the exercise for handler and dog.
Guidelines for a full explanation of how to set up for success.
Ideally the dog should be trained in exactly the same location that
it was first taught Recall.
Training and test for 1st certificate
Dog does restrained recall 51ft from poles - but in the opposite direction from the one done in Starters. It runs between the finish poles and returns to its handler, rewarding the dog while holding its harness. A Certificate will be awarded for doing 5 correct runs in a row with no errors in the training session. The dog can then progress to the 2nd certificate.
Change the layout of the Recall training area (making new marks for the poles and box area) so that the dog runs in the opposite direction to that done in Starters.
1. We will repeat and build on what was taught in Starters - allow the dog to explore the environment, then the helper takes dog in a wide curve past the poles so that the dog can do Recall from 51ft.
2. Do not be surprised if the dog makes a mistake doing Recall in this new location/direction - dogs have a very strong sense of location when learning a behaviour, and do not necessarily understand that the behaviour can be done pointing in a different direction. This is why these training sessions are so thorough.
3. Ideally, the certificate should be attempted when the dog has had no practice training sessions within the past hour. The dog enters the Recall lane and does 5 faultless runs in a row (from the 51ft mark), without once going wrong (ie running past the poles rather than through them, not returning to its handler for the motivator, not being allowed to be caught by its harness). *Training and test for 2nd Certificate
Either use the lane and direction used for Starters or relocate the training area to another part of the venue. Remember to mark out the positions of the poles, and the box locations.
4. Repeat steps 1-3, once again making sure the dog has a clear understanding of Recall and does it correctly each time. *Training and test for 3rd Certificate
Rotate the lane from the 2nd certificate so that the Recall lane is in the opposite direction (remembering to mark the new locations of the poles and box)
5. Repeat steps 1-3, once again making sure the dog has a clear understanding of Recall and does it correctly each time. *
|The dog has now earned its Bronze Recall rosette.
The dog can now progress on to Silver Recall
*With each certificate, please send in your Dog-Games Entry Form giving the details of where and when you passed the Bronze Recall certificate and with the appropriate fees.
As soon as the Entry Form and fees are received the Dog-Games staff will enter your dog's details on the website Roll of Honour, so that you have a record of its achievements as it progresses through the Dog-Games, and your certificate (and your rosette when you gain the third certificate) will be posted to you.
The Material contained herein may not be reproduced
without the prior written approval of Dog Games Ltd.
© 2000-2005 All Rights Reserved.