D.A.P. - Dog Appeasing Pheromone - DEFUSER
This product is a synthetic version of the "appeasing " pheromone which bitches give off when they are feeding their young puppies. The scent comforts the puppies, making them feel safe and
This synthetic scent can trigger a dog's memory into positive associations, rather than negative ones, and has been effective in calming anxious or stressed dogs in certain situations which
usually make the dog fearful.
There are two versions of this product, which can be bought from your vet or over the internet -
- Defuser - which is plugged into an electricity socket and continually emits a low dose of the pheromone into the dog's living area.
- Spray - A small amount is pumped onto bedding in an enclosed area (eg. Car) 15 minutes before the dog is put there. Never spray directly onto a
dog. The spray is ideal for areas where there is no electricity supply and therefore the Defuser cannot be used.
- DAP is not a Quick Fix "cure all"! Some dogs stress levels are so high that it will have little or no effect without also managing the dog's environment and routine.
- Some dogs have an adverse reaction to the scent and have negative rather than positive associations. Watch your dog's reactions carefully and stop using the product if you see any increase in
- Dogs need to escape from the scent if they want to - do not swamp its rest area. This also applies when using the spray in confined areas, such as the car, or dog cage/crate. If
your dog is reluctant to go back into the car after "escaping" from the sprayed area, then trust your instincts and stop using the product.
This web site has been written by Sally Hopkins (unless the author of the web page is stated otherwise).
Dog-Games Copyright 2004 - 2015 All Rights Reserved